Recomendations for server hardware

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Tue Jan 9 12:47:21 GMT 2001

>Dear All,
>
>We're going to deploy a FreeBSD server at our local ISP to handle low volum=
>web & email traffic.  It will be physically located at thier site, but we
>administer it and so on.
>
>The box has to be rack mountable and ideally 1U in height, and under =A32,5=
00
>GBP.  Previously we've always used custom built desktop cases for our
>servers, and so we have no experience of off-the-shelf 1U server hardware.
>
>I've looked at low end offerings from Dell, Compaq & IBM, and they all offe=
>what we're after.  However, the Compaq boxes, for example, seem to use
>network cards that aren't in the supported hardware section of the handbook=
=2E

Strange, I thought Compaq were using NICs based on the Intel chipset
which would work fine.

>If anyone can recommend a particular vendors server for this purpose I'd be
>most grateful.  I couldn't find any such recommendations in the archive or
>online anywhere.

I'd have a look at Digital Networks (http://www.dnuk.com). I've not
used them personally but when we met them at last years Linux Expo
they seemed nice enough chaps who had 'clue'. Heck they even mention
support for FreeBSD on their site.

Nik of course would like you to buy a box from Telenet (now part of
BSDi - http://www.bsdi.com), no idea what UK pricing is like though.

Might be worth also talking to FreeBSD Services
(http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk) to see what they can offer.

The alternate option is to build your own but that may be more hassle
than it's worth especially if you want RAID in the box.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
neil at ourshack.com