Recomendations for server hardware

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Tue Jan 9 12:45:51 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:20:55PM +0000, Jon Barber wrote:

> We're going to deploy a FreeBSD server at our local ISP to handle low
> volume web & email traffic.  It will be physically located at thier
> site, but we administer it and so on.
>
> The box has to be rack mountable and ideally 1U in height, and under
> £2,500 GBP.  Previously we've always used custom built desktop cases
> for our servers, and so we have no experience of off-the-shelf 1U
> server hardware.

If you want to build your own, PCI Case (http://www.pcicase.co.uk/)
offer 1U rackmount cases that'll take a standard ATX motherboard and
allow one PCI card.

Alternatively there are the likes of DNUK (http://www.dnuk.com/), OSEU
(http://www.oseu.co.uk/) and GND (http://www.gnd.com/) who can build
custom 1U servers.