Minimal sources to track stable?

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Sat Jan 6 17:45:25 GMT 2001

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Are you sure that you can't just download the source for everything, and
> then make it all?

Mainly because I have three machines to upgrade, and can only spare
the necessary space on one of them.  My router/firewall is a 486
with a 500M harddrive, so doing a buildworld is out of the question 8^)

> > One last possibility that occurs to me - are the tools for making
> > the distribution sets available?  That way I could make world on
> > one machine, create a custom distribution and updgrade my machines
> > over the network.
>
> Sure, it's called make release. But it's almost the same as making world
> which is what you do when you recompile and install FreeBSD from sources. In
> fact, you can compile all the files on one machine, and then share your
> newly compiled binaries over NFS and just to the installation sequence (make
> installworld) on all your other machines on the network. I've never done it
> myself, but I understand it does work.

Yeah, this method is mentioned in the handbook somewhere.  I figured
installing from a local release would allow me to pick and choose
which distributions I need for each machine - making my firewall's
root partion NFS mountable makes me nervous, anyway ;^)

--
C-YA
Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>