Exchange Server replacement?

Jeremy Prior jez at netcraft.com
Thu Jan 4 11:31:25 GMT 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 08:26:06AM -0000, Simon Clayton wrote:
# I have a customer who uses Outlook lots.  They
# haven't got an Exchange Server and so cannot
# share their contacts and diaries.
#
# They have asked us to find out how much it
# would cost to install Exchange Server on their
# existing NT platform.
#
# So, the question is - is there any software
# that will run on FreeBSD that will allow users
# to share Outlook diaries/contacts without having
# an Exchange Server?
#
# Thanks in advance for any help
#
# Simon Clayton
# Reference Technology Ltd

According to the Jan issue of Linux User, there are replacements for
both Exchange and Outlook.

Bynari (www.bynari.net) has an Exchange replacement product called
TradeCenter.  ~$600, or $10 to try.

    http://www.bynari.net/Products/TradeServer/body_tradeserver.html

They also sell an Outlook client called TradeXCH.  ($60/$10)

    http://www.bynari.net/Products/TradeXCH/body_tradexch.html

Lastly they `sponsor' an opensource Outlook-like client called TradeClient
(http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tradeclient/)

All are Linux-based, but might run under emulation.

I've not had any experience with any of these, other than a cursory look at
the website, though I'd be interested if anyone has any experience to
tell.

Hope this helps,
jez
--
      Jeremy Prior  <jez at netcraft.com>  http://www.netcraft.com/
 Netcraft Ltd, Treenwood Ho, Rowden La, Bradford-on-Avon, BA15 2AZ. UK