NTL cable modem and dhclient

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Wed Jan 3 17:35:53 GMT 2001

John Murphy wrote:

> The tutorial at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/cable.html
> is known to have helped many with this, and it seems to be 'up' again.

Thanks, but the problem is that 'dhclient' just hangs, it doesn't
seem to be able to come to an arrangement with the dhcp server.
Using 'winipcfg' under Windows works fine (although I occasionally
have to reset the modem before it wil work); it seems to be a
problem on the FreeBSD side.

I've just tried entering configuration details obtained under
Windows as static IP, but I still couldn't communicate with
the outside world - packets would go out, but I'd get nothing
back - the activity light on the front wasn't flashing, so I
assume the modem was eating them.

--
C-YA
Jon