Wireless NIC supplier?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Jan 3 14:20:09 GMT 2001

At 1:44 pm +0000 3/1/01, John Murphy wrote:
>Paul Richards wrote:
>
>>John Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>>  Anyone know of a retail vendor of 802.11 PCI wireless network cards (which
>>>  are known to work well with FreeBSD-4.2) in the uk?
>>
>>Yes, FreeBSD Services Ltd :-)
>>
>>What do you want specifically?
>
>I've seen the Compaq WL200 but it's not listed in the FreeBSD-4.2
>Hardware.txt.  As they seem to cost $199 each! (and I need two) I
>fear it could be a while before they're cheap enough for me, and
>by then I guess they'll be 'supported'.

I really would recommend the Wavelan Orinoco cards
(http://www.wavelan.com) as these are fully supported and are
considered by a lot of people to be the best of the bunch. And at the
prices Paul is now quoting they are a steal, especially if you can
live with 40bit encryption and go for the Silver cards.

BTW - my earlier comments about getting the driver working should be
clarified, the were primarily down to a) my ineptitude, b) the Sony
laptop I was using and it's PCMCIA circuitry and c) actually more to
do with getting client DHCP to work rather than the Wavelan driver.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
neil at ourshack.com