Apache web server.

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Wed Feb 28 14:25:47 GMT 2001

"Jason Corcoran" <jason at corcoran.tc> wrote:

> I looking for BSD specific documentation on setting up a web
> server on a FreeBSD 4.2 machine. Extremely newbie to apache :o)

You could either install a port or a package of Apache,
or build it from the source code.

Port/package installation instructions should be in the
handbook, a local copy of which you'll find in
/usr/share/doc/handbook/ on your machine, or on the
FreeBSD web site <URL:http://www.uk.freebsd.org/>.

Compiling Apache from source should be dead easy as well,
grab sources from sunsite.org.uk:/packages/apache/dist/,
then:

  # tar -xzvf apache-1.3.17.tar.gz
  # cd apache-1.3.17
  # ./configurare --prefix=/usr/local/apache-1.3.17
  # make
  # make install

Change 'Port 8080' to 'Port 80':

  # vi /usr/local/apache-1.3.17/conf/httpd.conf

Start up apache:

  # /usr/local/apache-1.3.17/bin/apachectl start

Put your documents in /usr/local/apache-1.3.17/htdocs/ and away
you go.

-Paul-