Hello

Chris Raven c.raven at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 02:29:47 GMT 2001

Try searching the list history on this, I
believe it has been getting talked about a
fair bit of late. AFAIK, there was aslo mention of
Alcatel releasing Linux drivers but, I don't know
if they are compatible here .....

CR

Quoting Dominic Marks
<dominic_marks at btinternet.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a UK based FreeBSD user (fairly new) and
just subscribed to the
> list.
> Some of you may have seen me on the questions
master list but I thought
> might as well join here and soak up the UK scene
as well :)

> I'm a programmer mostly with lots of sysadmin
and the usual other bits
> and
> bobs thrown in for good measure.
>
> Ok, so I've introduced myself, my question:
>
> Anyone know anything about the USB ADSL Alcatel
modem

(http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/homeprod.htm)
and FreeBSD? The
> modem is
> supplied with Home user ADSL from BTOpenworld,
which I have. However
> there
> is no driver for the device. I'm not experienced
in writing drivers,
> and
> even if I was Alcatel won't release the
specifications so it would be
> an
> absolute pig to make it work. Having said all
that does anyone have and
> information about it, perhaps past solutions or
experiences. I have
> spoken
> to people and there is a theory floating around
about being able to
> mount
> the device using usbd.conf and then bind a ppp
session to that?? I'm
> suspicous about this, but it would be great to
have some feedback about
> it.
>
> Thanks
> Dominic