Ports and Packages

julian julian
Mon Feb 26 08:52:37 GMT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C09FD1.77A5A6E0

Yes this is about right.  XFree86 is on the CD but you must specify at =
install time if you want to install it.  Your syntax for the pkg_add is =
correct.

The reason I replied to your enquiry is because I am also a new user of =
freebsd and have had quite a few probs with packages and ports, so heres =
a couple of prob you may get.(that no one told me about)

  a.. Package may require additional Linux compatibility libraries - =
install them with OS, set compatibility mode
  b.. package may require additional ports to be installed - you may =
have the packages required but your package may need these packages to =
be installed. (still cant be bothered to install KDE)
  c.. Your package requires other XFree86 libs the be installed - =
install them at install
Basically, from my limited knowledge and experience as a newbe, the best =
solution is to install everything at install time. I mean sources for =
all, all compatibility libs, all extra lib for Xfree86.   then you have =
everything hopefully.

Also make sure you download, or use the ports/packages for your version =
of BSD.  I have version 4.2, if you want to make sure that you have all =
the correct sources, you can do a CVS update for all your sources, then =
rebuild everything, and with any luck you will have a working system.

however, this takes time, and you will have to recompile your kernel for =
the best performance from your hardware.  I have spent over 3 weeks =
working on my system and have only minimal bits installed like X and =
some X programs, PPP, samba, I can't get Netscape to work at the moment =
but I will keep trying.

basically it could go 50-50, when installing stuff but keep going and =
don't give up! I haven't yet.
It not as easy to setup as other distributions, and needs a good working =
knowledge of Unix, but don't fret, cos the man pages are very helpful, =
and there's always here and the BSD web.

Good Luck!!!

Julian - newbe!

This=20email=20has=20been=20virus=20scanned=20using=20Sophos=20Anti=2DVir=
us=20by=20intY=20=28www=2Einty=2Enet=29

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C09FD1.77A5A6E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes this is about =
right.&nbsp;&nbsp;XFree86 is on=20
the CD but you must specify at install time if you want to install =
it.&nbsp;=20
Your syntax for the pkg_add is correct.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The reason I replied to your enquiry is =
because I=20
am also a new user of freebsd and have had quite a few probs with =
packages and=20
ports, so heres a couple of prob you may get.(that no one told&nbsp;me=20
about)</FONT></DIV>
<UL>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Package may require additional Linux =
compatibility=20
  libraries - install them&nbsp;with OS, set compatibility =
mode</FONT></LI>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>package may require additional ports =
to be=20
  installed - you may have the packages required but your package may =
need these=20
  packages to be installed. (still cant be bothered to install =
KDE)</FONT></LI>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Your package requires other XFree86 =
libs the be=20
  installed - install them at install</FONT></LI></UL>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Basically, from my limited knowledge =
and experience=20
as a newbe, the best solution is to install everything at install time. =
I mean=20
sources for all, all compatibility libs, all extra lib for =
Xfree86.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
then you have everything hopefully.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also make sure you download, or use the =

ports/packages for your version of BSD.&nbsp; I have version 4.2, if you =
want to=20
make sure that you have all the correct sources, you can do a CVS update =
for all=20
your sources, then rebuild everything, and with any luck you will have a =
working=20
system.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>however, this takes time, and you will =
have to=20
recompile your kernel for the best performance from your hardware.&nbsp; =
I have=20
spent over 3 weeks working on my system and have only minimal bits =
installed=20
like X and some X programs, PPP, samba, I can't get Netscape to work at =
the=20
moment but I will keep trying.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>basically it could go 50-50, when =
installing stuff=20
but keep going and don't give up! I haven't yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It not as easy to setup as other =
distributions, and=20
needs&nbsp;a good working knowledge of Unix, but don't fret, cos the man =
pages=20
are very helpful, and there's always here and the BSD web.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good Luck!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Julian - =
newbe!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

<PRE>

This=20email=20has=20been=20virus=20scanned=20using=20Sophos=20Anti=2DVir=
us=20by=20intY=20=28www=2Einty=2Enet=29

</PRE>
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C09FD1.77A5A6E0--