PPP WONT WORK! CANT INSTALL PACKAGES/PORTS

julian julian at inty.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 08:42:59 GMT 2001

Hi there,

my dialing sequence is as follows ...

    1. run ppp in interactive mode with - ppp
    2. go into terminal  mode with - term
    3. type AT (return) modem responds with OK
    4. type AT hayes (return) modem responds by picking up the phone
        then starts to act as if a call was comming in (usual DIAL-IN noise)
        at this point i press return again to stop this action!
    5. continue in normal way sending ATDT0845... (return) modem responds
        by picking up the line, dialing my ISP, i login and i'm connected!

strange as it may seem but this is the procedure that i am forced to follow
every time i connect to the internet!  Stranger still, if i make even 1
mistake in the 'term' sequence, i have to start again or  my modem just
hangs!

here is a link to the page where i found the hayes info i have also seen a
simular references in other documentations where with the command is sent
with.... set modem hayes ...in ppp in interactive mode.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/dialout.html
15.5.2. My stock Hayes modem is not supported, what can I do?

any ideas let me know, also i'm running version 4.2-release from the stable
branch, and i made the world last night! The chat script is phisicaly there,
but when connection goes wrong i get the message 'chat script failed' but is
is there and correct (template made from samples)

Julian M
Julian at intY.net