PPP WONT WORK! CANT INSTALL PACKAGES/PORTS

Richard Smith rdls at rdls.net
Tue Feb 13 09:57:27 GMT 2001

julian wrote:

> I think I have fount the cause of this problem now.  While reading up on the
> BSD web site I saw a command 'AT=hayes' that needs to be sent on certain
> modems.   on trying this in a ppp (term) session, my modem opened a line
> (did not dial) and started to make sounds as if it were answering a call, of
> course this then failed.
>
> Then I tried to dial my ISP and it worked!  it seems my modem will only
> allow me to dial after sending the command 'AT hayes' after the initial 'AT'
> command and before 'ATDT....'
>
> Can you tell me any more about this command and where/how I can place it in
> my dialing script, or what it actually does.

I think it's more likely that the modem is executing an ATA (go off-hook
and answer) command, from the `a' in your `hayes'.

Exactly what are you sending to your modem? and do you have a modem chat
log yet?

Richard.

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp