PPP WONT WORK! CANT INSTALL PACKAGES/PORTS

julian julian at inty.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 08:33:18 GMT 2001

Thanks for your speedy reply,

I think I have fount the cause of this problem now.  While reading up on the
BSD web site I saw a command 'AT=hayes' that needs to be sent on certain
modems.   on trying this in a ppp (term) session, my modem opened a line
(did not dial) and started to make sounds as if it were answering a call, of
course this then failed.

Then I tried to dial my ISP and it worked!  it seems my modem will only
allow me to dial after sending the command 'AT hayes' after the initial 'AT'
command and before 'ATDT....'

Can you tell me any more about this command and where/how I can place it in
my dialing script, or what it actually does.

Thanks again!

Julian