PPP WONT WORK! CANT INSTALL PACKAGES/PORTS

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Mon Feb 12 23:27:41 GMT 2001

> It appears to work, it accesses the modem, I hear the dial tone, then =
> ..... nothing.  After 10 seconds or so the modem hangs up with the =
> message 'no dial tone' or no carrier.  I have checked the ppp log but as =
> I am a new user to FreeBSD it doesn't relay make much sense to me.
>
> I have checked all the relevant config files and they all seem fine.  =
> (created from samples)=20

Your best bet is to enable more logging - perhaps with ``set log tun
phase lcp ipcp chat'' in the ``default'' section of /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.

You should then get to see what ppp is doing WRT the modem chat
script.