SCSI error.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 19:53:09 GMT 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 04:53:49PM +0000, Guy Harper wrote:
> Folks. Am still getting SCSI errors on my system...
>
> After some unhealthy sounding disk clunking/activity, kernel reports:
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) Invalidating Pack
>

> The system hangs. (bar the console screen saver!)
>
> Some of you may recall me asking about this before, following similar
> symptoms. This happens every few days. This is a fresh build, on a new
> hard disk, new cable. Same motherboard with embedded AIC7880.

Would that happen to be a U160 drive?  Search the freebsd-scsi list
for threads concerning instructions for turning off WCE, eg:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=54010+56302+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-scsi/20000827.freebsd-scsi

If this does match your problem, turning off WCE should fix things.  Or it might be fixed by updating the firmware of the drive.

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                          26 The Paddocks
                                                         Savill Way