named Problem

Richard Smith rdls at rdls.net
Thu Feb 8 17:08:05 GMT 2001

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> So are you saying that I should make up some kind of domain
> name and configure my machines with names like
> "win98box.home" and "freebsdbox.home"?
>
> Will this enable me to get named to resolve DNS queries for these
> names?

Correct.

You will need to make named the primary DNS for your `home' domain. You
can do this by creating a forward table for the `home' domain and
reverse table for the rfc1918 IP range you happen to use. Both of these
files are loaded from /etc/namedb/named.conf.

The syntax for these three files is `interesting' especially if you
haven't created them before.

The following added to your /etc/namedb/named.conf might do the trick:

====/etc/namedb/named.conf====
zone "home" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/namedb/fwd.home.table";
};

zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/namedb/rev.10.table";
};
====cut====

The /etc/namedb/fwd.home.table might look something like this:

====/etc/namedb/fwd.home.table====
$TTL  86400
@   IN  SOA ns.home. hostmaster.ns.home.	(
            2001020815
            86400
            7200
            8640000
            86400 )

    IN  NS  ns.home.

ns          IN  A   10.0.0.1
freebsdbox  IN  A   10.0.0.2
win98box    IN  A   10.0.0.3
====cut====

And finally, the /etc/namedb/rev.10.table might look something like
this:

====/etc/namedb/rev.10.table====
$TTL  86400
@   IN  SOA ns.home. hostmaster.ns.home.	(
            2001020815
            86400
            7200
            8640000
            86400 )

    IN  NS  ns.home.

1.0.0   IN  PTR ns.home.
2.0.0   IN  PTR freebsdbox.home.
3.0.0   IN  PTR win98box.home.
====cut====

These are just examples, you need to read the documentation. The man
page for named doesn't tell whole story. You might want to read the
documentation at /usr/share/doc/smm/10.named/, and on the bind website
at http://www.isc.org/

Have fun!
Richard.

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp