named Problem

Richard Smith rdls at rdls.net
Wed Feb 7 09:56:54 GMT 2001

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Well you where all so much help with the last problem, here's
> another. :-)
>
> Same box, but this time I constantly have sendmail complaining
> that, "My unqualified hostname (gateway) unknown", and "unable
> to qualify my own domain name (gateway)".
>
> Now, I haven't given the machine a domain name, I didn't think one
> was needed, and I just set hostname="gateway" in /etc/rc.conf
>
> /etc/resolv.conf just reads "nameserver 127.0.0.1" as the machine
> is running its own named so that machines on the local network
> can use it for DNS queries. "named_enable="YES" is in
> /etc/rc.conf and named is running and processing DNS queries
> about external hosts, no problem.
>
> I'm not sure how to cure this problem with sendmail however. I've
> entered "forwarders{x.x.x.x;x.x.x.x;};" with the IP addresses of my
> ISPs DNS servers and also "listen-on{10.8.0.2,127.0.0.1}" to
> ensure that the machine will only answer requests from itself and
> the internal network. Both of these things seem to work fine.
>
> I'd like to have the machine resolve requests for the names of all
> the hosts on the network (all 4 of them), but I'm not sure how to do
> this from named's man pages. There is no domain name involved,
> and all the machines just have one 'word' names like "win98box",
> etc...

I can't see how one would use named without a domain name, as the tables
are accessed by domain name. You can make the domain name largely
redundant by adding a `domain' or `search' line to your
/etc/resolv.conf. (The windows boxen can be similarly configured).

I have found that it's often better for your border gateways to use
their one true Internet FQDN as their host name, it causes less
confusion to applications. However, if you must use a private internal
name, sendmail can be forced to use the FQDN from it's config files.
Some mail hubs will not accept mail from hosts claiming to be some
unresolvable name.

If you wan't more detail and example files, email me.

Richard

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp