named Problem

Andrew Boothman a.j.boothman at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 22:09:07 GMT 2001

Hi!

Well you where all so much help with the last problem, here's
another. :-)

Same box, but this time I constantly have sendmail complaining
that, "My unqualified hostname (gateway) unknown", and "unable
to qualify my own domain name (gateway)".

Now, I haven't given the machine a domain name, I didn't think one
was needed, and I just set hostname="gateway" in /etc/rc.conf

/etc/resolv.conf just reads "nameserver 127.0.0.1" as the machine
is running its own named so that machines on the local network
can use it for DNS queries. "named_enable="YES" is in
/etc/rc.conf and named is running and processing DNS queries
about external hosts, no problem.

I'm not sure how to cure this problem with sendmail however. I've
entered "forwarders{x.x.x.x;x.x.x.x;};" with the IP addresses of my
ISPs DNS servers and also "listen-on{10.8.0.2,127.0.0.1}" to
ensure that the machine will only answer requests from itself and
the internal network. Both of these things seem to work fine.

I'd like to have the machine resolve requests for the names of all
the hosts on the network (all 4 of them), but I'm not sure how to do
this from named's man pages. There is no domain name involved,
and all the machines just have one 'word' names like "win98box",
etc...

Can anyone help?

Thanks!