Disk Space Problem

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Feb 5 16:25:40 GMT 2001

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 04:22:15PM +0000, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> So I moved /var/log/alias.log to /usr and touched a new alias.log.
> Unfortunately this didn't seem to make any difference, and the drive
> still read 104% full. Not really understanding, I decided to remove
> the -log flag from natd_flags in /etc/rc.conf and reboot the machine -
>  just to play safe.
>
> Sure enough when the machine came back up again it reports the
> /var filesystem as being only 4% in use.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about why this may have happened?
> I'm sorry I can't be more spacific about the exact numbers involved.

If the process that created alias.log still had it open then the space
the file uses won't get freed until the process closes the file. Given
that a reboot solved the problem this looks like what was happening.

J.

--
] http://www.earth.li/~noodles/ []    Open mouth, insert foot, echo    [
] PGP/GPG Key @ keys.pgp.net or []          internationally.           [