Disk Space Problem

Andrew Boothman 0094187 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 16:22:15 GMT 2001

Hi!

I'm having a bit of a problem with a 4.2-RELEASE box running natd
and named to do NAT between my cable modem and an internal
network of Windows machines (98SE & 2000)

df was showing that the /var filesystem was using 104% of its
available space. When I looked at the drive, all I could see was that
there was a huge /var/log/alias.log being created by natd, I wish I'd
taken more care to note the actual sizes involved, all I remember is
thinking that the file was very large.

So I moved /var/log/alias.log to /usr and touched a new alias.log.
Unfortunately this didn't seem to make any difference, and the drive
still read 104% full. Not really understanding, I decided to remove
the -log flag from natd_flags in /etc/rc.conf and reboot the machine -
 just to play safe.

Sure enough when the machine came back up again it reports the
/var filesystem as being only 4% in use.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this may have happened?
I'm sorry I can't be more spacific about the exact numbers involved.

Thanks!