Installing and Using FreeBSD With Windows 98

Lachlan Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 00:34:52 GMT 2001

I have created some tutorials on this (Win95 and FreeBSD) - same
type of thing.

  http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/solution/bsdunix/index.html#install

Tutorials have not been updated from 3.3 due to time limiations
but the trick is to use a bit of freeware/shareware called
Ranish Partition Manager for DOS/Windows.  This makes it all
possible and easy to do.  Does the disk partitioning
and has a very easy to use boot manager as part of it.

It can do re-partitioning - but overall I recommend starting
from scratch by doing the partitioning again with
Ranish.  (When Win98/NT, etc takes over your MBR after installing
- just run Ranish again to reset back to the Boot Manager)

Ranish Partition Manager:
  http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/
  http://www.ml.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~mranish/part/
  http://www4.au.freebsd.org/~ranish/part/

Also, if you want more than 4 operating systems on a single
disk - XOSL can be something to look at.  Open source, GUI
and based around Ranish. (Extended Operating System Loader)

   http://www.xosl.org/
   http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/shots.html

refer: Tricks on creating a Multi Boot PC with more than 4
   operating System

   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/web_live/solution/multiboot/

Lachlan.

>Avi Mor wrote:
>>
>> Installing and Using FreeBSD With Windows 98
>> Oh the pain and frustration that I have endured while trying only to
>> partition my Win98 hard disk.
>> Do you know of any solution that I might employ to repartition a FAT32 disk
>> without having to go to the expense of purchasing Partition Magic, etc?
>> The main problem I am having is that Windows, in all its wisdom, has taken
>> control of my entire hard disk, refusing to let any app that I have tried
>> thus far actually get into the disk's internals in order to create a new
>> partition, by splitting the primary partition which it occupies.
>> Please, please help me such that I can keep some Windows functionality and
>> still gain the power & beauty(?) of FreeBSD.
>> Hoping that you can at least point me in the right direction,
>

>You need to use fips, which is included in the tools directory (I think)
>on the installation CD. Fips will shift all the windows files to the
>front of the disk leaving space at the end of the disk to install
>another operating system. After running fips you can install FreeBSD as
>normal and you should see the windows parition and an area of unused
>disk space which you can put FreeBSD on.
>
>Paul.

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

After 10th January 2001 - visiting:
   CSIRO Division of Minerals, Bayview Ave, Clayton,
       Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3168
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8500 - Switch
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8802 - Direct
  CSIRO Fax: (613) 9562-8919  (made c/o Ian Madsen)