FreeBSD box can't access CD ROM??

Martin Smith martin at chiron-s.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 29 19:12:44 GMT 2001

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 05:42:54PM -0000, CB wrote:
> Hi - can anyone offer any useful suggestion as to why my FreeBSD box (Cyrix M2 300/128MB) cannot access its CD ROM drive.
>
> The box runs FreeBSD 4.0 as the only installed OS and it was originally installed from the CheapBytes CD using the same internal CDROM drive. There have been no hardware changes since, and no substantial OS modifications. X-Windows is installed and running OK and a Linux emulator loads during bootup, but isn't currently used for anything.

it may just be that the drive itself is abit iffy, have you tried a substitute?
though ISTR having had similar problems with 4.0 myself
suggest you install 4.4 or do a cvsup

> "cd /cdrom" takes me to the /cdrom directory, but "ls" gives nothing and it does not even try to spin the CD ROM drive. Ejecting the CD drawer and closing again causes the CD drive light to flash for a few seconds but still inaccessible.
>
> "mount /cdrom" gives:
> cd9660: device busy
>
> "umount /cdrom" gives:
> umount: /cdrom: not currently mounted
>
> using /stand/sysinstall to try to install additional packages:
> after selecting CDROM as the media source and with the FreeBSD 4.0 CD in the drive I get:
>
> User Confirmation Requested:
> Warning: The CD currently in the drive is either not a FreeBSD CD or it is an older (pre 2.1.5) FreeBSD CD which does not have a version number on it. Do you wish to use this CD anyway?
>
> Selecting "Yes" it says:
> Unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media
>
> Accepting "OK" it says:
> Could not unmount the CDROM from /dist: Invalid argument

I think this too, which I have also seen is something a bit buggy in 4.0 though I may be wrong, I have sometimes had sysinstall tell me I have a music cd in the drive, once again, upgrade the os

--
Martin Smith