High Availability? Re: FreeBSD Install config

Lachlan Cranswick l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Sat Dec 22 23:04:16 GMT 2001

>Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> It would be interesting to know how Apache (or thttpd or your
>> favourite "non caching" server) on a suitably tuned kernel
>> performed compared to Zeus on GENERIC.
>
>http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/benchmarks.html
>
>-Paul-

I must admit when I tried out thttpd last - I could get core dumps
when artificially putting up the load to extreme conditions - the thing
I was interested in.
That is something I was not able to do with Apache - though it
can be misconfigured for poor performance or not to work at all if
you do something strange in the config.

If on a high-traffic site - might not a high availability cluster
be something to consider or would a single FreeBSD system with Apache
be able to handle this?  Linux seems to be pushing this area
of high availability using programs like piranha, Ultra Monkey,
LVSM, etc.

High-Availability Linux Project
  http://www.linux-ha.org/
  http://linux-ha.org/download/
  http://www.linux-ha.org/failover/

Do these programs also run on FreeBSD as well - or are there
equivalents?

Lachlan.

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6849   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/