FreeBSD Install config

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Sat Dec 22 20:48:46 GMT 2001

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Paul Robinson wrote:

>I just want to correct you a little here. Webservers CAN be memory
>intensive, it's just that Apache is so badly written in terms of performance
>(the authors snub those who try to benchmark it) that it has no cacheing
>implemented (mod_file_cache can be compiled in, but it's discouraged),
>meaning it's not only slow but won't use a decent chunk of memory.

I do wonder sometimes if it isn't the job of the operating system to cache
files; surely it is better to use the buffer cache and fast directory
hashing in the kernel than have each application attempt to implement
their own file caching?

It would be interesting to know how Apache (or thttpd or your
favourite "non caching" server) on a suitably tuned kernel performed
compared to Zeus on GENERIC.

Obviously I'm not talking CGI here - just static pages.  From a CGI point
of view though, I suppose you could build your application as an apache
module if you wanted better performance?

Aled
--
        ++  Amazingly fast server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++             http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/               ++