Deleted Files

Dominic Marks dominic_marks at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 14 17:55:31 GMT 2001

On Friday 14 December 2001 5:49 pm, Patrick Heath wrote:
> Help!!
>
> sombody has managed to remove the following directories from /usr
> by a malformed rm -rf :(
>
> bin
> compat
> home
> include
>
> what can i do to get them back/repair the damage !

1. CVSup so you have a complete /usr/src
2. Build a new world and kernel
3. Install the new world and kernel
4. Mergemaster
5. Use `mkdir' to create /usr/home/ and then make any user
directories. Make sure the user's directories are owned by the users
and not root.
6. Be more careful with rm :)

I'm sure if this will get you back /usr/include. If it doesnt that
can also be sorted. If you didn't make a backup yourself there is
almost no way you are going to get that data back.

--
Dominic