Xwrapper / window managers problems

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Dec 11 23:52:10 GMT 2001

"Dan Sloane" <mail at dansloane.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm running Xfree86 4.1.0 on FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, and have problems
> running X with Xwrapper.
>
> Using startx as root works perfectly for both sawfish and WindowMaker,
> however when I use Xwrapper to run as a normal user, X starts fine (giving
> me the grey screen and X cursor) but the window manager fails to load.

I'm not sure you can start X directly with Xwrapper? or maybe I have
mine set up in a strange way (but it works):

% cat ~/.xserverrc
exec Xwrapper -auth $HOME/.Xauthority

(You don't need the -auth part unless you want to use Xauthority
style authentication).

My 4.2-RELEASE box doesn't appear to have a man page for Xwrapper,
and startx(1) doesn't mention it, so it's hard to tell what the
correct usage of Xwrapper is.

My ~/.xinitrc contains the usual lines to start up the window manager.

> I can leave X using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but the console shows not errors.

Try starting X and capture all the error output to a file:

sh/bash:

  startx >startx.log 2>&1

csh/tcsh:

  startx >& startx.log

> My .xinitrc file is the same in both /root and /home/dslo.
> I'm sure that this is bound to be something to do with rights
> somewhere, but has anyone any clues?

Perhaps your window manager installations (directories, files) have
some permissions somewhere that are only allowing them to be read
by root.

-Paul-