Mail accounts [was: Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD]

Scott Mitchell scott.mitchell at mail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:55:43 GMT 2001

[ redirected to -users, since we're all on there too and this bit isn't
terribly relevant to -hackers ]

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 04:01:04AM -0800, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Dominic Marks wrote:
> > What mail client do you use? It seems to be playing
> > havoc with your
> > line breaks.
>
> Sorry, as you know, i am only 15 years old, and my
> dad has no plans to get me a pop account and let me
> have my machine on 24/365 jus' to receive mail.. :-(
>
> but... i use Yahoo! Mail, which if by far the fastest
> mail i am using at the moment... i used to have
> hotmail
> but as you know.... Microsft-Hotmail.. so i  left it..
>
> You can point me to a better free mail account, which
> i can use in conjuction with my FreeBSD system having
> to keep it on 24/7

Who's your ISP?  I can't believe there's any that *don't* give you few POP
mailboxes... if you've managed to find one, I'd suggest changing to a
provider with a bit more of a clue :-)

If you want to remain ISP-independent, I can recommend
http://mail.totalise.co.uk/ Mail-only accounts are free, they give you (I
think) a 50MB mailbox, accessible via web, POP, IMAP and WAP, plus an SMTP
server you can use from anywhere (requires authentication).  Mail to all my
various addresses end up in one of these; it's very handy being able to
read (and send) everything from anywhere with whatever client happens to be
available.

OTOH, don't you have a uk.freebsd.org address?  Surely that includes a
mailbox on some machine or other?  I know mine did...

No need with any of this to keep your machine on (or online) 24/7.

HTH,

	Scott