Dual Booting Linux - BSD

munk ockham_razer at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 06:48:20 GMT 2001

I have just installed linux mandrake 8.1 onto the second of two HDDs with
the aim of benchmarking linux against FreeBSD (FreeBSD is installed on the
first HDD).  I did not install the lilo bootloader during the linux install
as I was unsure how to specify the lilo.conf parameters for successfully
booting FreeBSD (and did not want to overwrite the BSD loader).  However I
did create a linux bootdisk so I could boot linux from the linux boot image
on the second hdd.

On rebooting, the BSD loader ran but failed on fs check and dropped me to
command-line complaining that problems needed to be fixed.  I fixed the now
erroneous /etc/fstab entry pointing to the second HDD, rebooted and all was
fine re BSD.  However I now need to add linux to the boot configuration.  My
question is how best to dual boot linux / BSD, using the BSD loader or LILO?

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,
Jez
My setup is as follows:

2x 1.6 Gb IDE HDD:

1st HDD /dev/ad0 BSD:
1st slice 10mb DOS maintenance
2nd slice FreeBSD

2nd HDD /dev/hdb1 linux:
auto-allocated (/,swap,/usr,/home,/var on separate partitions)

The machine currently boots using the BSD loader on the first HDD and gives
F1 DOS
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1

Hitting 'F5' gives options:
F1 Linux
F5 Drive 0

however hitting 'F1' does nothing but issue an irritating bleep (no boot
loader is installed on drive 1).