Mysql

Helen McCall helen at dinoflagellate.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 14:47:12 GMT 2001

Hello Dominic,

When you say you have the "latest GNU compiler" what do you actually
mean? Are you using a stable release of the GNU compiler, or are you using
the latest unstable development version? You certainly shouldn't be having
any problems, or having to apply any patches if you are using a stable
released version of the GNU compiler.

If you have done what Red Hat Linux did a year or two ago, and are using
an unstable development version which has never been released, and never
will be released, then you will only have yourself to blame. Red Hat did
this, and became stuck in a really ridiculous situation of finding that
packages compiled on Red Hat wouldn't run on other Linux platforms, and
vice versa, and some packages would not compile at all on Red Hat without
special patches. The GNU compiler project members complained bitterly
about this misuse of one of their development versions, and made some
public statements that the versions concerned have never been released and
never would be released and so should not be used. Though Red Hat Linux
have continued to use an unofficial compiler despite all of this.

Stick to using a stable released compiler if you want things to work and
compile properly.

Helen McCall