Mysql

Paul Robinson paul at akita.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 12:55:42 GMT 2001

On Monday 03 December 2001  9:15 am, mark.stewart at bacs.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone new of a good mysql faq for installing on
> FreeBSD 4+. (not using the ports collection). I have the latest GNU
> compiler, but I have problems with both source and binary distros of mysql

It depends on which version of the MySQL distro you're using, but on their
download page, the MySQL team have put up an advisory stating that on certain
platforms with certain compilers, problems can occur - the error is within
gcc rather than MySQL (they claim), so may cause problems.

Firstly, I suggest you use the stable (reccomended) distribution of mysql,
then it really is a case of:

tar zxvf mysql-3.22.xx.tar.gz
cd mysql-3.22.xx
./configure
make
make install
scripts/mysql_install_db
cd /usr/local
bin/safe_mysqld &

and off the top of my head, that's it.

Ports is there for a reason though - any reason why you're not using it?

--
Paul Robinson