Alcatel Speed Touch USB - Howto's ?

Mark Hughes mark at dvdnews.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 00:25:32 BST 2001

> A friend of mine has just got ADSL installed and we're thinking of
> using his FreeBSD machine as a gateway for the network instead
> of his Windows 2000 Machine. Just wanted to know if theres any
> FreeBSD+ADSL HOWTO's using the Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem crawling
> around the internet ? Or maybe one of you would be so nice to type out
> a small walk through ?
>
> Any input welcome, thanks for the help!

I've got a machine set up doing just that, and it works an absolute treat.

What would you like to know?

Basically I followed the instructions at
http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/ (make sure you DO use the latest
version of the driver, I used the older one for a bit and while it worked
it was a pain in the proverbial to set up).

Relevant section of my ppp.conf and ppp.linkup files are below. There is a
shell script adsl-bsd.sh included in the tar.gz for the driver, which I've
popped into my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory to automatically bring up the
link on boot up.

The ppp.linkup bits I've got just update my dyndns.org account with my new
IP address each time I log on, and syncronise my system clock with a time
server. Not required, but can be useful.

It works pretty well overall. Any questions, just drom me an email.

Regards,
Mark

ppp.conf:
default:
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set log Phase Chat IPCP CCP tun command

adsl:
 accept chap
 # These are the value of vpi and vci in france.
 # Check in the INSTALL-BSD to see value for uk or netherland
 set device !"/usr/local/bin/pppoa2 -vpi 0 -vci 38 -v 1"
 set speed sync
 set authname username at hgxx.btinternet.com
 set authkey password
 set timeout 0
 set dial ""
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns
 nat enable yes
 nat port udp 192.168.0.3:7777 7777
 nat port udp 192.168.0.3:7778 7778
 nat port udp 192.168.0.3:7779 7779
 nat port udp 192.168.0.3:29800 29800

ppp.linkup:
adsl:
 !bg /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/ipcheck/ipcheck.py -d
/usr/local/ipcheck -w -i tun0 username password
domain.dyndns.org,domain2.dyndns.org
 !bg /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk