DNS problems with telnet/ftp/whois

Dan Sloane mail at dansloane.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 22:31:06 BST 2001

I'm having a problem with DNS lookups running on my 4.3-STABLE build with
bind 8.2.3....

My v. small toy network at home is running the FreeBSD box as a PPP dialup
router with local primary DNS. Bind forwards its requests to ntlworld DNS
servers.  All is happy on the network - ie my Windows boxes can resolve
addresses using http, telnet, ftp, ping, etc.

However, when I try to use telnet, ftp or whois on the FreeBSD terminal I
always get error messages like:

    cuthbert# ftp dsftp.dial.pipex.com
    ftp: dsftp.dial.pipex.com: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

Nslookup, Host, Dig and Ping all work fine:

    cuthbert# nslookup dsftp.dial.pipex.com
    Server:  cuthbert.lockside-court.co.uk
    Address:  192.168.1.1

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    tornado.dial.pipex.net
    Address:  158.43.192.19
    Aliases:  dsftp.dial.pipex.com

Has anyone got any clues why this is happening?  I've searched around on the
web / newsgroups and no one seems to give a successful answer.

My named.conf is:

    # named.conf for cuthbert.lockside-court.co.uk
    # dms / 07.02.2001
    #

    # dms / 01.06.2001 : change remote dns to ntlworld
    options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        forward first;
        forwarders {
              194.168.4.100;
              194.168.8.100;
        };
    };

    # dms / 17.04.2001 / added reference to local zone
    zone "lockside-court.co.uk" in {
             type master;
             file "lockside-court.db";
        };

    zone "1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "lockside-court.rev";
    };

    zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "named.root";
    };

    zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost.rev";
    };

My host.conf is:

    # host.conf for cuthbert.lockside-court.co.uk
    # dms / 07.02.2001
    #

    order hosts,bind

Mr resolv.conf is:

    search   lockside-court.co.uk
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

Sorry it's such a long mail - but any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Dan