XDM and X

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 4 19:06:51 BST 2001

--5L6AZ1aJH5mDrqCQ

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:42:44PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> This hasn't suddenly changed in FreeBSD -- the -current/-stable branches
> have worked like this since at least the 2.x days.  It's always been the
> case that if you're using FreeBSD in a production environment you should
> deploy any new version on to test machines first, and make sure that
> it works in your environment.

Actually, and of course, this is the case irrespective of the operating
system you're deploying.  Having the source code, and being able to do a
buildworld is nice, but unless you know that the updates your compiling
in to your system have no effect on your environment (hypothetical
example -- you installed -release, and are migrating to a snapshot where
the only changes were to IPv6 code, and you don't run IPv6) then you
should always deploy on a test system first.

Not doing so is asking for trouble.  And I do speak from bitter
experience (it was six years ago, I was younger, reckless, and able to
handle successive all-nighters to fix the problem; not any more. . .)

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--5L6AZ1aJH5mDrqCQ

--5L6AZ1aJH5mDrqCQ--