Can't boot 4.3-R from SCSI

Richard Smith rdls at rdls.net
Mon Apr 30 22:11:38 BST 2001

I am trying to upgrade an industrial PC from 4.2-R to 4.3-R using CDROM.
The PC has a 4G IBM SCSI disk on an Adaptec controller (pretty standard
stuff).

Under 4.2-R the disk was "dangerously dedicated".
Under 4.3-R that is no longer an option.

I have tried a number of combinations...

1) standard MBR + 4G partition => "missing operating system"

2) boot manager + 4G partition => "F1 - FreeBSD" => long beep

3) standard MBR + 1G + 3G partitions => "invalid partition table"

In (3) above, the root slice was in the first partition (which was less
than 1000 cylinders), I was grappling at straws by this time.

Could it be disk geometry? If so, where do I discover the correct values.

Any suggestions where I should look or what I should try next?

Richard