Authenticated SMTP - advice sought

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Fri Apr 27 14:22:36 BST 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 01:32:29PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 12:45:21PM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:

> > I keep meaning to look at authenticated SMTP; though I'll be doing
> > it with with exim or qmail. Rather than POP before SMTP relay I'm
> > going to go for SMTP AUTH though, which Exim seems to do fairly
> > easily and qmail can do with a simple patch.
> >
> Exim keeps rearing it's head. I've never really used it, but I do have
> access to a machine with a working config that I should probably look
> at. SMTP AUTH does sound a better option as well.

If you know Postfix I'd stay with it - apparently it does SMTP AUTH out
of the box now, but I had a quick look at www.postfix.org and found it
was keener on POP before SMTP. *looks a bit more*. Oh, the smtpd man
page might help?

J.

--
Web [ "I will not send lard through the mail." - Bart's Blackboard ]
site: http:// [                                          ]       Made by