Authenticated SMTP - advice sought

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Fri Apr 27 12:45:21 BST 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 12:25:32PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:23:26AM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > Oh to have that luxury :-) The very reason for doing this is to provide
> > services to a number of travelling windows and mac users, so ssh port
> > forwarding is out of the question.
> >
> > The reason for authenticating is so the box isn't an open relay,
>
> In that case, you may find it easier to allow relaying based on the
> STMP FROM: address.  It's not foolproof, because it's easier to forge,
> but the vast majority of spammers aren't going to take the time to try.

No. Don't do it. At the very least it'll get you listed on ORBS, which
checks for this.

I keep meaning to look at authenticated SMTP; though I'll be doing it
with with exim or qmail. Rather than POP before SMTP relay I'm going to
go for SMTP AUTH though, which Exim seems to do fairly easily and qmail
can do with a simple patch.

J.

--
Web [  "Where the f**k is all this water coming from?" -- Captain  ]
site: http:// [              of the Titanic              ]       Made by