Patching programs (was Re: Authenticated SMTP - advice sought)

George Reid greid at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 27 12:34:58 BST 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Neil Ford wrote:

> Okay, I've kind of answered my own question as I've found details on the
> DRAC site on patching things like imapd and qpopper. However I've never
> patched a thing in my life so am uncertain of the procedure.

You need to first download the patches. Don't use lynx, use something like
fetch(1) or wget (lynx will mangle patches). Then, copy the patches into
the source directory of the relevant package. Then:

	$ patch < patchfile

And recompile the software or follow any additional instructions. Make
sure you are using the right patch for the version of the package which
you have, and that you're applying it in the right directory. You may have
to use the -p option to patch; it's all explained in the manpage.

greid
--
|    George Reid    |  FreeBSD Committer  |