Problems Connecting to the internet using FreeBSD

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Apr 25 19:53:02 BST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 06:02:28PM +0100, . wrote:

> Anyway using my trusty book and wits I got pppd setup and everything so
> it could run, ISP settings was all right and so on, but when it
> came to making a connection, it wouldn’t do it, It dials the number ok,
> starts to connect but just doesn’t make that connection, the only thing
> I have noticed is that the modem is making different tones/sounds when
> trying to connect; this is compared to something like when I dial into
> the net
> using my NT machine.

In my personal experience using userland ppp over pppd makes life so
much easier. ppp can take care of network address translation for you and
works out of the box with only minor modifications (usually your isp's phone
number and your username and password).

Check http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/index.html for a good intro
though I think parts of it are redundant these days. Hopefully Brian, the
maintainer of Userland PPP, will chime in with further comments :-)

I'll happily mail you my current config files (minus passwords :-) ) if that
would help.

Regards
Neil.