Texts about networks

Kevin O'Connor kevin at rainford.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 10:19:26 BST 2001

On 18 Apr 2001, at 10:04, Tim Borgeaud wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
>
> Sorry to have been a bit vague but I'm not entirely sure what I need to
> know. The request infact stems more from Jane than me. At home we are just
> getting a little LAN set up, but it'll only have a few machines on it,
> however Jane may well have to look after a small school network.
>
> Our knowledge is pretty limited, we know how to connect up machines with
> ethernet, UTP plus Hub/switch or COAX. We can give a machine an IP number, a
> name and point it to a gateway and DNS. We know basically what
> a nameserver does but not how it does it, same for a router.
>
> We'd like to know much more about many aspects of networking. Such as how
> ethernet works, why can there be problems and how to fix them etc. Other
> network technologies like token ring, ISDN, DSL. When and why bridging
> between networks is required and how it is accomplished. Tunneling and
> where and how to use it. Plus NATD, firewalls, protocols: TCP/IP, ftp, http,
> smtp nntp, etc etc etc. Also what about MACs and appleshare etc, Windows
> domains (sigh). What will happen when moving to IPv5?
>
> There's a huge amount and we'd like to know the most significant things in a
> bit more details than the 'teach yourself networking in 2 weeks' kind of
> thing.
>
> Tim

Not exactly what your asking for but a lot of colleges are now
running C&G networking courses. If you know the basics find a
level 2 or 3 course. For my sins I teach one a couple of nights a
week so if you want send me your address and I'll post you a copy
of all the course notes, they cover things like how a node knows
it's on the same subnet, classless routing MX records etc  and yes
one of the systems used is indeed FreeBSD although the C&G
suggest lynux
Regards
Kevin