Texts about networks

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Tue Apr 17 20:25:08 BST 2001

> Tim Borgeaud <Tim.Borgeaud at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > My Girlfriend and I are looking for good texts about computer networks.
> > We want to get hold of a set of books which will cover everthing we should
> > know about modern networking, with a slight bias towards the practical
> > setting up, configuring and running of current networks.
>
> What kind of network?  At what level?
>
> TCP/IP, ethernet, token ring, frame-relay, ATM, etc?
>
> It's a *very* big subject.

I would guess that Tim & his better half are looking to sort out
their home - making it into a geek paradise !!!

I'd suggest starting by buying O'Reilly's ``TCP/IP Netowrk
Administration'' book - blue spine, in every good book shop.  I
haven't actually ever read a book on networking, but I've heard good
things about it.

And of course the best way to learn (IMHO) is to get a few NICs and a
few cables (get a 10baseT hub and a few RJ45 cables - BNC is no good)
and play with it.

Turning up to Cameron's BBQ would be a good idea too - you'll probably
get to see a network being set up in real life !!! :-)