C tutorials

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Tue Apr 10 20:01:49 BST 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 07:10:53PM +0100, Ben Paley wrote:
> 	Could someone point me in the direction of a some material for learning
> C, in particular for XF86? I'm pretty close to being a beginner, but I pick
> stuff up quickly... either something on the web, or I could even be persuaded
> to part with money for a book...

I'm not aware of any C tutorials on the web, although google should be
able to find a few fairly quickly for you.

As far as books go, though, I would definitely reccomend "The C
Programming Language" by Kernighan & Ritchie.  They wrote C and even
though the book is coming up to 15 years old now, it's still a good
introduction to the language whilst being authoritative.  It's also not
too thick, unlike some modern "Monster Bible Everything You Never Wanted
To Know" style books.

	http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131103628

It's also useful as a reference to the language when you have learnt it.

(All of Brian Kernighans other books are also worthwhile investments)

Once you're comfortable with the basics of C, I reccomend ploughing
through the comp.lang.c FAQ sometime.  It's a mine of information that
other people have found out about the hard way.

-Dom

--
	M-x smite-the-infidel