new install of 4.2

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 20:36:33 BST 2001

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 03:47:01PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> > a. I've installed 4.2 release, and have the 4 disc set for 4.1 (it
> > seems nothing later has been issued).
>
> Not sure what you mean, my 4.2-RELEASE 4 CD set shipped from the US back in Dec 2000.

I relied on what I was told by the Vendor. Earlier I got a single
cheap CD "FreeBSD 4.2 release". After I got it installed, I enquired
about CD's containing further packages and was told the latest to be
issued was "FreeBSD 4.1 August 2000 - a full 4.4 BSD Lite 32 bit
operating system". Will know better in future.

> > c. I've configured ppp and although it works I'm not sure how safe
> > the setup is.
>
> Safe in what way?

Not sure, it's the first time I've tried to understand ppp. Previously
I took the easy way out and used wvdial or kppp.  The man page and
HOWTO are to me complicated and include masses of config options
not pertinent.  I'm just not sure if I've "left some door open".

> > d. Lynx is my favourite browser, and I've managed to get that
> > installed and working. I had problems with using /usr/ports/
> > as it does not seem to find what I put into /usr/ports/distfiles, and
> > won't install from a mounted CD.
>
> There are several potential problems here...
>
> First, the distfiles are no longer distributed on the CDs, they can only
> be down loaded (I can't recall if 4.1 included the distfiles or not).
> Note that distfiles and packages are not the same thing.
>
> Second, (if there are distfiles on the 4.1 CDs) many are likely to be
> older than those required by the 4.2 ports system.

I did check this for Lynx and it seemed to be the same.

> One way you can install from distfiles located elsewhere in your
> filesystem (such as CD), is by removing/renaming the
> /usr/ports/distfile directory and symbolically linking to the
> appropriate directory elsewhere: e.g.
> % cd /usr/ports
> % ln -s /cdrom/distfiles
>
> > Using pkg_add, I installed Lynx but couldn't find .cfg. I deleted the
> > pkg and reinstalled by downloading - eventually finding .cfg and
> > editing it to suit my needs.
>
> Often packages do not contain all the documentation and example files
> that the original port distfile contains. However, if you ever need
> to find out where pkg_add actually puts things, the file
> /var/db/pkg/<package_name>/+CONTENTS contains (amonst other
> things) a list of pathnames, relative to the installation root (@cwd).
> Hope this helps,

All info at my present point on the learning curve is valuable and
the above certainly takes me a little further - many thanks for both
the information and taking the time out to assist.    Regards,  John.