new install of 4.2

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 15:47:01 BST 2001

a. I've installed 4.2 release, and have the 4 disc set for 4.1 (it
seems nothing later has been issued).

b. Although I run Debian 2.2 and have some idea of the basics, it's
difficult for me (at over 70 and with little compu-savvy) to get
really into FreeBSD.

c. I've configured ppp and although it works I'm not sure how safe
the setup is.

d. Lynx is my favourite browser, and I've managed to get that
installed and working. I had problems with using /usr/ports/
as it does not seem to find what I put into /usr/ports/distfiles, and
won't install from a mounted CD.
Using pkg_add, I installed Lynx but couldn't find .cfg. I deleted the
pkg and reinstalled by downloading - eventually finding .cfg and
editing it to suit my needs.

e. Trying to install sound, and following the Handbook, I've
recompiled the kernel adding 'device pcm' which is correct for my
card. /cat/devstat gives the correct output (ES1371 irq 10 etc).
I've created the required devices with 'MAKEDEV snd0' , verifying
they are in fact there. Permissions seem to me to be OK, but I have
no sound, just an error message 'make sure .... access permission to:-
/dev/rmatcd0c'.
I don't under stand the reference to /dev/rmatcd0c - I have a Teac
CD-524E Atapi CDROM as master on the second IDE channel, and the
Handbook says it should be acd or wcd (not sure which - there's either
confusion or a mistype).  The nearest I can find is matcd for a
Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM.

f. I get error messages along the lines of 'microuptime ( ) went
backwards ( 1382.370919 -> 1382, -695005365)'. These mean nothing
to me. These started only after I recompiled the kernel, but all I
did was eliminate USB and SCSI and add 'device pcm'.

g. I have a stand-alone PC with dial-up access via an external modem,
two IDE hard drives, basic graphics and sound cards, a CD ROM and CD
-RW and a Gigabyte M/B with AMD500 processor.

Can someone come to my aid? I have read all the literature I can find
installed but see nothing I understand that helps.

Briefly, i) What can I do to get the ports system to install from the CD?
           ii) What's the answer to the sound	difficulty?
           iii) The microuptime message - what does it signify?

I shall be most grateful if someone could take the time to assist. I
keep 'picking at it' and just getting more confused.

Regards,  John.