ATAPI CD-R issues

Darren Bull d_bull at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 02:01:51 BST 2001

Hey All,

  Having used Freebsd (4.2-release) for the past few weeks I can say that
i'm suitably impressed with almost all the areas within it. The one major
feature that i've found to be lacking though, as the title says is IDE
cd-writers.

  I know that burncd exists, and indeed i've used it and it performs well
enough for some things but i'm still after something which can write in DAO
mode (for audio cd's) and I wondered if anyone has managed to get "cdrdao"
to work with the IDE drives (I use it to copy cd's bit for bit, and also
writing audio cd's). I've tested OpenBSD briefly and that seems to have
support for the IDE cd-writers. Ideally i'd just want one OS installed and
not have to dualboot to get the added functionality.

  Am I just missing something really blatantly obvious? Is there something
fundamentally wrong with Openbsd's method of accessing the IDE device in the
way that it does? Does anyone know of a way to get it to work.

  I'm fairly new to the OS and so I realise that these questions have
probably been asked a thousand times before, apologies for that, but I
really cannot find anything concrete online which documents this problem.

Cheers,
Darren

--
Darren Bull, Warwick University Graduate in Computer systems engineering

--Current status : seeking employment--