Installing SoundBlaster 16 PCI on FreeBSD 3.2?

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 25 11:36:47 BST 2000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 10:23:15AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 08:33:41PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > OK, in 3.x the 0 (zero) device was reserved for ISA devices and 1 was used
> > for PCI, so if you have a PCI card it should be found as pcm1.
>
> You have no idea how long I've been wondering about that.  Do we document
> it anywhere?

Well, I can't find it in the Handbook or FAQ, but if you search for "pcm1"
in the -questions archive alone you'll get 236 matches. The first ten
contain an explanation of it and a random selection from the other 226 also
mention it, so I would say we ought to put it in the FAQ and before you
ask; yes, I'll do it (mind you, given the number of times the question is
asked maybe it should go in /etc/motd :))