Installing SoundBlaster 16 PCI on FreeBSD 3.2?

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 24 20:33:41 BST 2000

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 06:19:58PM +0100, David Marsh wrote:

> Hi Mark (and list), thanks for all your help so far..
>
> On 23-Sep-00 Mark Ovens wrote:

> > Ah yes, ``device pcm'' on its own only works in 4.x.
>
> If I have to, upgrading is always an option.. ;-)
>

> > Here's something I found in the -questions mail archives that might
> > help you:
>
> I've tried following the advice given in the message below, including
> the lines where noted..

The pcm driver works for both (see below for more detailed explanation).

> Also, for what it's worth, my PC BIOS reports the soundcard being on
> IRQ 11 (ie, not 5).

So change ``irq 5'' to ``irq 11'' in the ``device pcm0 ....'' line.

> (What does DRQ mean? Should I know this?)

DMA Request (I think), i.e. the DMA channel.

> > Note the flags at the end. They're saying that I'm using DMA
> > channel 3 as the secondary DMA channel.
>

> Full disclosure time.
>
> OK, the values I get from the Other OS for its 'legacy' driver/device
> for the card are:
>
> I/O: 0220h - 022Fh
> I/O: 0330h - 033Fh
> I/O: 0388h - 038Bh
> DMA: 01
> DMA: 07
>
> (ie, not DMA 3 as with Mr Wells' card: I have no idea what I should
> change the flags value to..)

Hmm, perhaps try removing ``flags 0xB''

> The 'normal' W**9x device gives:
>
> IRQ 11 (this matches with what my BIOS thinks, anyway)
> I/O: F700h - F73Fh
>

> > In /boot/kernel.conf
> >
> > pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 port1 0x300 port2 0x388 irq0 5 drq0 1
> > drq1 3
> >
> > I'm using port 0x300 instead of the default 0x330. That's because
> > I also have an Adaptec 1540 SCSI controller in my machine. If
> > 0x330 is free, you might as well use it.
>
> The settings given here match with the I/O values from the 'legacy
> driver' - at least something makes sense. (I changed the 0x300 back
> to 0x330 since I don't have a SCSI card). Again I'm left with an IRQ
> value which I'm not sure is correct (I really don't understand how this
> things work!) and DRQ values which I also don't understand..
>

> To cut a very long story short, when I make a new kernel and reboot, I
> get: pcm0 not found, so obviously these settings aren't working.

OK, in 3.x the 0 (zero) device was reserved for ISA devices and 1 was used
for PCI, so if you have a PCI card it should be found as pcm1. There was a
way of silencing the ``pcm0: not found'' message IIRC, but I can't remember
how (you do *NOT* do it by changing ``device pcm0'' to ``device pcm1'' -
that will just make pcm1 be used for ISA and pcm2 for PCI).

Do you get any messages about pcm1 in the dmesg output?

> Does anybody know, from the information I've given, what the right
> values should be, or would it just be easiest for me to upgrade to
> 4.x..?

Well, u/g to 4.x makes sense. 4.x is more PnP-centric and should make these
things easier. The other reason is that as more and more people switch to
4.x fewer and fewer can remember how to make things work in 3.x (me
included :)).

You could always search the -questions archive; I know I participated in
plenty of sound card threads.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie
51.44°N  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org