Installing SoundBlaster 16 PCI on FreeBSD 3.2?

David Marsh dm at viewport.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 01:50:27 BST 2000

I have a SoundBlaster 16 PCI soundcard, which I am trying to install
under FreeBSD 3.2.

Unfortunately, upon reading the handbook entry on sound cards, I've
realised that it seems to mention ISA soundcards rather a lot, and PCI,
not at all... :-(

Is it possible to get this PCI soundcard working under FreeBSD 3.2, and
if so, how?

I'm afraid I'm not overly familiar with the murky workings of PC
hardware.

I do have IRQ numbers, I/O numbers (addresses?) and DMA numbers (not
sure if these are IRQs or what?) from another OS <koff> for "normal" and
'legacy' (MS-DOS?) modes for the soundcard, which I'm sure will be of
use in configuring the card, but I'm not sure which set of numbers I
should be using, and what the format of the line(s) I should be adding
to my kernel config file are.

I've hopped around various FreeBSD webpages looking for info, and I get
the impression that I should be using the pcm device to use this card
(rather than snd) (?), but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90 |