Surely not a coincidence?

Guy Harper guy at gtv8.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 20:20:48 BST 2000

I hit return, and wander away to do something else, and find my PC has rebooted.

Odd? So I try again to mount the extra swap......

dmesg has this to report:

da1: <COMPAQ WDE2170W 1.52> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit failed self-config

I do concede that I should probably have typed swapon /dev/da2s1a, but surely this error would not kill the disk? I can't get any sense from da1 now, it fails initialization in the SCSI BIOS.

Could this possibly be related to yesterdays reboot whilst installing the mySQL port?

I do find it hard to believe that a disk would fail at precisely the same instant that I issue a slightly malformed command as root, but equally, I find it hard to believe that root is capable of causing hardware failure.

Cheers,

Guy