In need of some help :X-server

John Toon j.a.toon at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 3 12:36:31 BST 2000

Robin Gray wrote:

> Hi there,
> Iam in need of some real help I have tried everything to load freebsd onto
> my pc but the following keeps happenning I simply am at a loss about what to
> do about it  so I really do hope someone out there can help me please
>
>  as a new user to unix I decided to go for Freebsd 4.1, but the problems I
> am having are that x-server when finished configuring presents me with a
> screen of white dots with a big x in the middle and I can nothing about it
> apart from re-boot the machine.
> I am at my wits end as I have been trying to configure the freebsd for many
> weeks now and always the same thing.
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robin

Can you move the mouse (the "X" cursor)?

It almost sounds to me like you're describing starting X, but without
any window manager, or even an xterm.

You should invoke X from the console with "startx" (not "X"). This
processes a script that sets up various things. By default, it'll start
you into the TWM window manager.

You might want something else, so simply create a file called ".xinitrc"
in your home directory, and put any paths to programs and your window
manager of choice in here. This will be processed when you type
"startx".

Also, if you need to force-quit X, simply press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

--
"I'm entirely unaccountable for any moments of sanity contained herein."
:s/Windows/UNIX