ISDN PPP for Dummies!

Simon Clayton Simon at RefTech.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 10:27:25 GMT 2000

OK, a bit shabby on the response times! but I have been out and purchased a
BT Speedway ISDN PCI card (item code 871550) which I have installed in one
of my dev servers.  I have checked and the BIOS shows the card when booting
but I cannot see anything in the dmesg text to indicate that FreeBSD 4.0 has
found the card - can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

The system is running with a generic kernel - do I need to rebuild the
kernel with extra devices? If so which ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Iain M Weir [mailto:email at iainweir.co.uk]
Sent: 29 August 2000 15:25
To: Simon Clayton
Cc: freebsd-users at freebsd.org.uk
Subject: Re: ISDN PPP for Dummies!

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:38:00 +0100, you wrote:

>Firstly, which PCI ISDN cards do people recommend and where can they be
>sourced from?

ELSA 1000pro PCI. Don't know about this one
AVM Fritz!Card PCI  (this is sold as the BT speedway in the uk) from
BT. insight, dabs etc

>Secondly, is there an idiots guide to setting up a FreeBSD box to be an IP
>router out over ISDN?  Basically, do I have to have IPFW and NAT setup, if
>so how difficult is it? Then how to I setup PPP to route out to the
internet
>(ppp.conf looks pretty straight forward) but I am conscious of the fact
that
>I don't want the system to raise the line at every verse end with no good
>reason.

Setting up the card as per the care and feeding of i4b
http://people.freebsd.org/~hm/i4b/index.html using sppp, and
nat/firewall as per
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html
is easy and works well for me. However if you want multilink you need
userland ppp which is still giving me one or two problems.

Hope that helps ,

Cheers iain.