Douglas Adams, ApacheCon, and horns aplenty

Dyas, Alex alex.dyas at wcom.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 17:07:08 BST 2000

> * Nik Clayton <nik at FreeBSD.ORG> [001027 04:14] wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.
> >
> > We (i.e., BSDi) were at ApacheCon in London
> Tuesday/Wednesday of this week.
> >
> > The keynote speaker on Tuesday night was Douglas Adams.
> >
> > I wasn't in the auditorium to witness it myself, but
> apparently he stopped
> > in mid-sentence part way through his presentation, and in somewhat
> > incredulous tones said
> >
> >     Er, are people wearing *horns* in here?
> >
> > which prompted much laughter from the conference goers.
> >
> > I'm just kicking myself that I didn't have the presence of
> mind to hand him
> > a pair before he started. . .
>
> What percentage of the audiance/conferece were wearing the
> horns?  Just
> wonderdering how much of a presense we had.
>
> -Alfred

Speaking as someone who had to peer through a set of horns to see Douglas
Adams on stage, there were a fair number of them dotted around the audience.
Some of them were even flashing, about which he also remarked.  BSDi had a
booth at the Expo, I think that's were all the horns originated.  Very
interesting talk by him, and a fantastic conference in general.

http://www.apachecon.com/2000/EU/html/speakers.html/

alex..
--
This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the